Skip to main content

John 17:6 What did Jesus just pray? - Day 361

Good afternoon fellow disciples,

God's word really is sharper than a two edged sword.  Not that I have ever touched a two edged sword, but I have cut myself with a pocket knife.  Well this devotional took me be surprise.  I have about 8 years worth notes in my Quiet Time folder in my electronic Bible.  But not one on these 3 verses. And when I pondering "I have manifested your name" I was amazed.

So finish well my friends.

Blessings,

Jeff

Just as Paul's prayers are reminders of what is important and should not be forgotten, how much more is the High Priestly prayer what Jesus wants His disciples and us to remember.

Each believer was given to the Son by the Father. - The foundation of assurance.  

1) The Son repeating truth to the Father.  How then can I ignore this and pretend that it was my choice that saved me?  How can I not go looking for others who have been given to the Son but have not yet come into the kingdom?

2) This is really not petition, asking that these things would happen, but a statement of what has happened.  What does he say about his disciples.  Kept your word, know that everything that you have given me is from you, received (the words), came to know that I came from you, believed that you sent me.  When I look at the 12 in the upper room and immediately after resurrection, I don't know that I would say these things about them.   When the disciples heard this did they wonder if Jesus was talking about them.  But this is what Jesus says about them. That is what matters.  So are these things true of me?  Are they true of you?  Are we living these truths?

3) What does Jesus say that he has done?  Manifested (the Father's) name to the people.

Manifested - Strong's definition to make manifest or visible or known what has been hidden or unknown, to manifest, whether by words, or deeds, or in any other way

Name - we are familiar with the various names of God in the  Old Testament.

ESV note - Jesus' revelation of God's name entails making known the Father in his whole person, both his works and words.

So all the names of God in the Old Testament were fragmentary and in some way incomplete.  Jesus is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, Hebrews 1:3

More than Isaiah's chapter 6 vision.  If his response was "woe is me for I am lost" how much more am I overcome by this reality of what Jesus did.  I know the words but I do not experience this truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leviticus 18:21 - Partial restoration of creation order

Dear Friends, Some times we forget that Moses wrote Genesis.  Obviously, he did not have first hand knowledge of the events of creation.  But God did and revealed them to Moses.  The "story arc" is clear to Moses despite the millenia of history between Genesis and Leviticus.  The plan for ultimate restoration is hazy, but God is at work repairing some of the damage. Blessings, Jeff What is the prohibition on child sacrifice doing in the list of prohibited sexual relations? Be fruitful and multiply - First commandment in Genesis.  God made the world to be inhabited.   Having children is how this  was to happen.  So child sacrifice was a direct violation of this first command to Adam and Eve. Marriage is one man and one woman is the creation order. Seems simple enough.  I can imagine men thinking, Yeah but God didn't say which woman.  I will do the one woman thing if she is my sister, or aunt or …..  So God gives all these examples of unlawful unions.  To this day, man stil

1 Chronicles 24:1-6 How about those Levites! Day 332

Good morning friends, Good foundations are important.  Our author turns to the religious life of the returning exiles. Blessings, Jeff We have seen the emphasis on the Davidic line in the  political life of Israel.  The other area of emphasis is the Aaronic priesthood and Levitical workers. In this passage we have a quick review of the somewhat sanitized picture of the start of Aaron's line.  The returning exiles would have known that Nadab and Abihu did not just "die before their father without children".  They rebelled against God by offering unauthorized fire and were themselves consumed by fire from the Lord. Leviticus 10.  The case of Abiathar  son of Ahitub son of Ahimelech, who was faithful to David, but later rebelled with Adonijah is also not mentioned. But the passage points to the importance of the Aaronic line to the rebuilding of the temple by the exiles.  The history of the northern kingdom which was without the Levites from the beginning could not be repeat

Matthew 22:23 - the danger of not knowing Scripture - Day 193

Yesterday's passage was not very theological.  Today's is very theological.  I have only scratched the surface, but hope this encourages us to question ourselves about "knowledge of Scripture and the power of God". Blessings  Jeff This is a fascinating dialogue between Sadducees and Jesus.  So let's interrogate the passage. What distinguishes the Sadducees from other Jewish doctrinal positions?  They deny that there is a resurrection.  They are absolutely committed to this doctrine. How does their commitment shape their thought and questions? Even though they don't believe in the resurrection, they formulate a question focused on showing the absurdity of the resurrection.  They are not pointing to a passage of scripture that supports them, but asking a hypothetical question to make resurrection look silly. What is the purpose of the "Levirate marriage"? Deuteronomy 5:5-8.  First this is not a violation of the 7th commandment (adultery).  Brothers wer